Summer = Fun outdoor opportunities!
June marks the official beginning of summer! We now find ourselves planning trips to the beach, backyard BBQ’s and which concerts of Thursday at the Harbor we will be attending. This also marks the season for some fun and unique volunteer opportunities! Summer volunteer opportunities are a great way to enjoy the outdoors while discovering new places, people and things to do. Though there are countless ways you can get involved, here are just some of the ways you can make an impact on the environment and the lives of others through these great organizations.
Excalibur Leisure Skills Center, Inc. is a private, non-profit all volunteer, charitable organization dedicated to providing adaptive boating and fishing opportunities for developmentally challenged and disadvantaged persons.
90 North Drive Buffalo – Boat launches from NFTA Boat Harbor
• All aboard! Volunteer aboard the wheelchair accessible program vessel, the M/V Richard A. Smith. Boat as a boat crew member or captain.
Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park is a museum on the shore of Lake Erie and is home to several decommissioned US Naval vessels.
1 Naval Cove, Buffalo (716)847-1773
• Share the fascinating and deeply important history of our service men and women. Provide tours for school groups, help with ship maintenance and answer questions of tourists.Park Docents
Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens - June 17th Fathers Day
2655 South Park Avenue (716)827-1584 ext207
• Volunteers needed to help with admission and crowd control
Lothlorien Therapeutic Riding Center was established in 1983 to provide horsemanship and horse back riding opportunities for individuals of all ages with cognitive, physical, emotional and learning disabilities. Since 1986, Lothlorien has owned and operated their present facility which is located just outside of the Village of East Aurora, NY.
15 Reiter Road, East Aurora, NY 14052 (716)655-1335
• Volunteers can work with program horses, help clients practice their riding skills or help with office work and special events.
The Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy: the nation’s first park and parkway system.
84 Parkside Ave, Buffalo (716)-838-1249
• Garlic mustard removal: Delaware Park and South Park, War of 1812 meadow restoration: Delaware Park in the Great Lawn, painting in Delaware Park, Martin Luther King Jr. and Riverside Parks, Japanese Garden buckthorn removal: Delaware Park.
Messinger Woods Wildlife Care & Education Center strives to promote community awareness, education and instruction, involvement, understanding, appreciation and acceptance of our wildlife in order to conserve it. They promote quality care and medical attention for debilitated wildlife in a professional setting.
9628 Vermont Hill Road, Holland (716)648-8091
• Opens today, June 1st! Tend to the needs of injured &/or abandoned wildlife by feeding, cleaning and loving them!